Wednesday, October 12, 2011

You can baby proof....but you can't Tank-proof

Jim and I are fairly smart people. So when Scott first started showing signs of crawling a few months back, we figured it might be a good idea to protect our little munchkin from himself.

At first we were going to go all out on the baby-proof front, but ultimately, we opted for just a few basics, deciding instead that we would monitor Tank closely and try to teach him what he could and could not touch.

Our biggest priority was cabinet locks. We wanted to keep Scott out of the kitchen cleansers, away from the glass pots and pans and free from the tempting allure of any and all sharp objects.

Friends and online reviews led us to choose magnetic locks - which are a total pain for us, but nice and strong. The plastic part adheres under the cabinet with adhesive, and the locks don't open unless you wave the special magnet "key" in front of them.

They worked like a charm. Until a few weeks went by, and I noticed that the cabinet lock under the kitchen sink was no longer functioning. (I discovered this, I might add, when I watched Tank toddle over, yank open the door and pull out the Comet.)

Umm. Not good.

A few days later, and the cabinet door next to it also malfunctioned. I gave a gentle tug on the door and the little adhesive thingy fell on the ground.

I was stumped -- until a couple of weeks later, when Scott was in the master bathroom with me, playing with a toy while I dried my hair. He got bored, and crawled over to the bathroom cabinets (which were also locked), stood up and yanked on the cabinets' handle. It didn't budge. So it became a game. He yanked again. And again, and again. Bit by bit, the lock started loosening.

I realize I should have stopped him, but I was really quite fascinated and entertained. After about five minutes of playing, Scott gave one more big pull, and fell backwards on his butt as the cabinet door swung wide open and the adhesive lock popped off the wood.

He clapped his hands and laughed. At me, I think.

You think these locks are going to stop me? Child's play, I tell you!

Final score: Tank - 1, Babyproof locks - 0 

Mommy and Daddy? Not even on the playing field.



No comments:

Post a Comment