Thursday, October 13, 2011

Meet Mr. Fussy Pants

Scott used to be a good eater. A really good eater. The kind of kid who pretty much ate whatever we put in front of him.
Oh sure, there were some initial rejects: lamb? Yucko. Pureed pees? Gross. Ranch dressing? Nasty.

But for the most part, he tried it, he ate it - or at least a few bites.

No more.

Scott's new favorite game is called, "let me turn my head away from that in disgust and when you still don't get the picture, I will spit it back out at you."

The number of rejected foods is growing daily, changes frequently, and currently includes pretty much all manner of protein, vegetables and fruits.

Current list of acceptable food items include:

1) Waffles, preferably with syrup
2) Pancakes. And ditto.
3) French fries
4) Cheese quesadillas, and occasionally he'll tolerate chicken in them
5) Yogurt
6) Pureed applesauce, and occasionally pears
6) Soup in pretty much any form - except tomato.
7) Oreos
8) Goldfish
9) Pringles Baked Stix - pizza or cheddar flavor, please
10) Paper products of any kind

I have no idea what's going on with that last one. But every time I turn around, Scott is eating a magazine or an envelope.

The rest of the food items pretty much all have two things in common: a) they are carbohydrates b) they are predominately snack foods.

The one saving grace is the soup. I've taken to hiding whatever Scott rejects in my first attempt at dinner -- usually little bits of chicken, turkey, corn, green beans and carrots -- in the broth, just so I can be sure that my son is getting some kind of vegetables every day.

Tomorrow, I think his chicken noodle soup is going to be pulsed and pureed with a little leftover steak and spinach. Sounds gross, but I can't really think of a better idea.

Please tell me this is just a phase and he'll get over it. And soon!

No mommy. No veggies. I want Oreos!
Addendum: On Oct. 27, Scott added dog food to his list of approved menu items. Just thought I'd mention it.

No comments:

Post a Comment