Monday, May 16, 2011

Operation: Baby Proof

So I've started noticing that the Tank has become a lot more "mobile" lately.

No more potted plant.

I can plunk him down, and 10 seconds later, he's maneuvered himself, via combination scoot, rock and belly roll,  to the china cabinet, the Bose sound system, the edge of the coffee table, or pretty much any other area I don't want him to be.

No one is watching...I am off! Ooh! Look what I found!

You keep saying that 'no' word mommy, but I am going to pretend I don't understand it. Cords are fun!


I shudder to think how fast he'll be once he actually figures out how to crawl.

For weeks I've been putting off babyproofing our home. This weekend, I finally decided I had run out of time.

So I did what is innately comfortable to me. I began to research. I quickly realized there is a crazy amount of stuff you can do to "babyproof" every inch of the house. One article even suggested I crawl around on my hands and  knees to get my son's "perspective" and try to understand what might be attractive to him.

Really? This is a kid who puts his feet in his mouth - willingly.
I don't think I want to tap into his perspective.

Anyhoo...I took myself down to Buy Buy Baby, where again, I was confronted with so much child safety equipment that I began to wonder if the manufacturers thought I wanted my son to live in a bubble, or if I intended to leave him home for days on end with no supervision save the dog. (Who I am sure would make a fine sitter, if asked.)

Ultimately, Jim and I decided to take the middle route. After my sister informed me in no uncertain terms that Scott, at eight months of age, is VERY capable of both learning and understanding the word "No," we opted for a combo approach.

We'd babyproof enough to minimize the major hazards and keep Scott out of the big temptation areas, but mostly, we'd rely on the tried and true teaching method.  I have a feeling "NO" is about to become a big part of my vocabulary.

I used it 51 times today -- see first paragraph about Scott rolling to china cabinet and the stereo system wires. (He also tried to eat the rocks in our front yard.)

Despite our best efforts, our "modest" babyproofing approach still set us back $200.

For that we got a lovely white metal swing door gate, which we are putting in the hallway to keep Scott from crawling into the dining room (which contains our wine cabinets and lots of tantalizing upside-down hanging stemware); a brown cushiony strip thing that stretches the length of our brick fireplace hearth (which we hope will keep him from bumping or scraping his little face and head on the corners); outlet covers; three large plastic things designed to contain stereo and computer cords; a strap system that will attach our ginormous flat screen TV to the wall so the Tank can't pull it over on top of himself; and a magnetic lock system for our kitchen and sink cabinets that we hope will help keep the Munchkin from playing with Comet or lobster picks.

Scott will get access to one kitchen cabinet. It's filled with tupperware, a wooden spoon, and a few measuring cups which will no doubt create lots of noise when he bangs them on the floor. (He LOVES making big loud noises.)

In the end though, there's no substitute for actually watching him like a hawk. Unless we need to step out for a minute, in which case I can always spend hundreds more dollars to "bubbleproof" the house, and leave him in Baxter's good care.

Me? Get into trouble? NEVER.

1 comment:

  1. He can understand "no"?! Is that why Ryan laughs whenever we say it? He's already figured out what suckers we are!

    Totally agree that Baxter would be an excellent babysitter. Have complete faith in him.

    ReplyDelete