Sunday, February 13, 2011

We will not succumb to the germs...we will take them to the zoo!

So I had always heard that once Scott entered daycare, he'd be sick. A lot.
What was not conveyed to me is the following: if the baby is sick, chances are mommy and daddy are also sick.
This is day 28 of my cold.
I don't know if its the same cold, the cousin or best friend of my original cold, or some other variation thereof. Nor do I care.
I just want it gone.
I have spent about $78 on boogie wipes, saline spray, vapor bath and the like for Scott. And I have spent an equal amount on cough drops and other illness coping supplies for my husband and I, who have by now, drunk our weight in DayQuil.

I've disinfected every surface of the house. Washed my hands a-bazillion times. Sucked on Zicam tablets and taken Cold-Eeze. Popped vitamins.

None of its working.

Jim and I still feel like death warmed over. Scott is still coughing and congested, and we are still attacking him 15 times a day in desperate attempts to get the gunk out of his nose so he can eat and rest more easily. He is rewarding our efforts by turning his head and coughing, open-mouthed, directly into our faces.

Sometimes he sneezes at dinnertime and sprays carrots or squash on me, along with the germs. That's uber-fun too.

And so the cycle continues.

But because we live in Phoenix, one of the few places where its 77 degrees on a Saturday in February, we decided this weekend that we would not succumb. We would rise above the germs. We had long planned an excursion to the Phoenix Zoo with our friends Don & Melissa.

(Side note: As they have two kids under the age of four, this get together had been cancelled about five times because someone in THEIR family was always sick. Even on this day, Don didn't make it. You guessed it: Disease. Melissa went it alone with Dylan and Ella.)

Jim and I got Scott dressed in a fun little springtime outfit, complete with hat, baby sunglasses and rubber giraffe and headed on down to the zoo.

Getting Scott all strapped in. He sits in his stroller like a big boy, for the first time.


All the cool kids wear shades, a hat and chew on a rubber giraffe. Don't you know that?

Scott had been there once before - at Christmas-time for Zoolights, but he slept the whole time. I can't say the animals made a much greater impression on him this time, but he was a trooper. He stayed awake for almost three hours, finally deciding he needed a little cat nap right before we hit the petting zoo.

It was a fun morning, but it wore the whole family out.

Mommy and baby needed a two hour nap in the afternoon. More pics from our big weekend excursion below:

Mommy and Scott ready for some zoo time!

With Melissa and Dylan

Taking a break with Daddy in the shade.

Too much Zoo. I need a nap.

The goats are interested in Scott. He could care less.

No comments:

Post a Comment