Monday, February 7, 2011

Mohawk, meet Mullet

I admit it.
I gloated.
Quietly.
But I did.
Scott was born with a full head of blond hair. And it was, as we soon discovered, beautifully curly. It was so distinctive, it made him look like a little man. Everyone commented on it, and as a proud mommy, I gloated.
My son was unique. No cue ball, bald baby here. My kid was special - and I had the pics that proved it.

(As a side note: I kind of figured I had the right to show off my son's one-of-a-kind tresses...after all, I endured a good six months of horrific heartburn while I was pregnant.
I had always heard that "heartburn=kids with lots of hair" was an old wives tale -- until I read that researchers at Johns Hopkins had conducted a study and found that pregnant women who had significant amounts of heartburn did frequently end up with children with tons of hair.
It was certainly true in my case: by my six month, I had been on two different kinds of prescription antacids, was popping Tums hourly, and downing about a gallon of milk a week. But I digress.)

My mom and my pediatrician were among those who told me not to get too attached to my son's wavy locks.
"He'll lose it," they warned me. "All babies do."



Scott at 11 days old, with his full head of hair.



His curls sprang back right after every bath.


But one month went by. Then two. And if anything, his hair seemed to be getting fuller and longer.

By the time Scott was three months old, I was on the verge of asking people if they knew of any infant barbers. And then it happened.

I was giving Scott a bath, and I noticed some patches on either side of his head. Distinctive still, but now because they seemed to be bald. No hair really, just a bit of thin blonde fuzz. And then another one appeared on the back of his skull. And then they started growing together.


Baby pattern baldness is marching across my son's head.

Now, on the cusp of five months, it's clear: my son is developing baby pattern baldness. The top of Scott's head has stayed blonde and curly, and the nape of his neck has hair that is long and straight, but there's a whole band of empty-ness developing in-between.

My father summed it up best when he said: "He's growing a mohawk and a mullet at the same time."

Unique indeed. But I am still a proud mama. And I still (not-so-quietly) gloat that he's the cutest little boy ever. And certainly the only one I know that can pull off two completely different hairstyles at once.

1 comment:

  1. You have every right to be proud! That is some ROCKIN' hair!

    And I agree - he still manages to make baby baldness cute. ;)

    ReplyDelete