Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Five months old!

I can't believe my little guy is already five months old. Really? How did that happen?

I can't believe that he's also, apparently, already learned how to trick and manipulate mommy.

We have a whole bedtime routine here in the Rough household. We come home from daycare, eat our veggies and our oatmeal, have our bath, put on our pajamas, drink our bottle, listen to a bedtime story, and then go to bed. In our crib. Lights out. No exceptions.

Granted, when Jim and I first instituted the routine, there was a learning curve. Outright resistance is probably a better description. Scott was displeased that mommy and daddy were no longer rocking him to sleep or putting him to bed in his swing, and he let us know it. But after a week or so, he got the hang of things.

Now, I turn out the light and he's usually asleep within 5 to 10 minutes at the most, usually with a whimper or two or none at all.

That's what made last night so unusual. I put him to bed, and he kicked and thrashed and made noises for about 25 minutes. Didn't fall asleep. Then he appeared to drift off. Suddenly, as I was making dinner, I heard a screech. A screech followed by loud wailing. I looked on our TV monitor (great baby shower gift!) and saw that Scott was yanking on the collar of his pajamas like they were too tight. Then he started coughing.

I immediately went in his room. Flipped on the light. Looked down at the crib, and was greeted with...a huge smile. A smile that was followed by a giggle. Yes, a giggle. My son actually laughed at me. He put his hands to his face, kicked his feet happily and squealed. Nary a tear in sight. It was as if he was saying, "Wow. Mommy, you aren't very bright. I can't believe that actually worked. But since you are here, can we play?"

I am guessing that won't be the last time my son pulls one over on me.

Now, for this month's photo shoot...every month we take pictures of Scott next to a big stuffed teddy bear I got at my baby shower. At the end of the year, I hope it will help us chronicle how he's grown.

Here's this month's winning photo:

I am five months old today!!!


And some outtakes from our photo shoot:

Seriously? We're doing this again? I am not a performing monkey you know.

Smile for the camera? Whatever, mom.





What is this brown furry thing anyway? Can I eat him?


No comments:

Post a Comment