Thursday, May 19, 2011

A belated recap of my first Mother's Day

I wanted to write a Mother's Day blog on the actual day, or in the immediate hours after it ended. After all, this was my FIRST Mother's Day, and I wanted to acknowledge it properly.

I think I put too much pressure on myself to write something both sentimental and joyful, a blog that captured all the brilliance of the day.

And so now, it's two weeks later, and I am just getting around to it.

I think maybe the reason I couldn't write a Mother's Day blog is that for me, it was just another day.

But I don't mean that in a negative way at all.

My husband did Mother's Day up BIG. We had planned a special date night the evening before - massages, a dinner out, and then he treated me to a night away at the Westin Kierland. My folks took Scott, which meant I got a blissful night's sleep, without worry or sounds from the baby monitor.

Jim also surprised me with a gorgeous sapphire (Scott's birthstone) and diamond bracelet, and I was surprised with two lovely bouquets of flowers by Jim's parents. So again, I got treated like a princess.

Scott living it up at the Westin Kierland, before we dropped him at Grandma and Grandpa's.

My first Mother's Day gift. My husband has excellent taste. 

Scott got to play with a giant ice cream cone on Mother's Day (courtesy, the doting grandparents)

When I say that for me, it was just like any other day, I mean essentially this: I spent it, like I do every other Sunday, with my husband and kid. And I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

We took Scott to his 10:30 a.m. swimming lesson, then came home and gave him a nap. We relaxed around the house, played with Scott in the afternoon when he woke up. I read him stories, fed him dinner, and kissed his head before I put him to bed.

It was perfect.

A few days ago, I was dropping Scott off at daycare, and a bunch of the older kids (I think they were about five or six) were shouting at me through the fence. One of the little girls was upset because one of the boys in her class had taken her princess lip-gloss and thrown it in the parking lot as a joke. She and her friends asked me politely if I could please hand it back to her. So I did and they cheered. They started shouting, "We did it!" to the little boys, and I heard them say, "We got a mom to help us. We got a mom to help us."

I suddenly realized they were talking about me. I am somebody's mom. After 36 years, I am somebody's mom. I have been for eight months, and will be for countless more years and decades. And the mere fact that I get to be a part of "Mother's Day" is the best gift of all.

This little guy is the best Mother's Day gift. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment