Saturday, December 3, 2011

Being "Mommy" is Job #1

Sometimes, you have to take a step back. Re-evaluate.

I've spent the past year juggling. Trying to create a delicate balancing act between a demanding career that I love and an equally demanding little boy that I adore.

After 13 months, a non-stop array of respiratory illnesses, ear infections, trips to Walgreens, a flood of tears, and countless stressful nights that have left me with a perpetually painful, deep shoulder knot, I made a very difficult decision: little boy wins.

In October, I went to my editor and asked to be reassigned off the Governor's Office beat. I told my employer that I wanted to cut back my hours and spend more time with my family.

I am beyond lucky.

My husband has been nothing but supportive as I've wrestled (and not usually gracefully) with this decision. And my bosses at the Republic have been beyond accommodating. My request was met with zero resistance, and a genuine desire to find a role that will allow me to keep working and satisfied professionally, while still giving me the flexibility I need at home.

Starting Monday, I cut back my hours. I am still temporarily on the Capitol team, still covering the Governor's Office. But those days are limited. I don't yet know what my new role will be at the paper.

But whatever it is, I am eternally grateful that I still get to keep working.

And even more grateful that I get to spend some more time with this guy. Could you resist this face?


Me neither.

No comments:

Post a Comment