Sunday, July 31, 2011

Those things on your feet are called "shoes"

What do you mean I can't walk around barefoot for the rest of my life?

That was how I interpreted the look Scott gave me this afternoon when I took him to Stride-Rite to purchase his first pair of shoes.

He's technically "owned" footwear prior to this point - we got a couple of pairs of sandals as gifts, but he refused to let me even put them on.

But he now HAS to have shoes, because the big kids in his daycare toddler room go outside to play. Can't run around on the playground in socks or bare feet.  So for about 15 minutes, twice a day, he needs shoes.

I spent some time researching the whole "baby first shoe" thing on the internet this past week, asking my sister and a couple of friends about the best brands for the "early-walker" set.

I ended up at Stride Rite based on its reputation and the fact that it was a mere three minutes from my house (especially key given it was close to Scott's nap time when we went.)

I rolled Scott in in his stroller, and told the clerk we needed a pair of shoes. She takes one look at my Tank and goes, "How old is he? I assume he's walking?"

Me: "10 1/2 months, and no."

Her: "Oh, he's a big boy - and wow, he's got wide feet!"

Me: "Yes, I know - and okay then."

With that discourse out of the way, we then had the fun task of coaxing Scott on to the foot measuring plate - a process he did not enjoy.

The verdict? A size 5W.


The store had about six pair to choose from. I narrowed it to two, automatically eliminating anything with laces. No way he was going to sit still long enough for me to actually tie something on to his feet. I was prepared to buy both -- until I saw the prices, and learned that this wonderful new accessory was going to last maybe 2-3 months before he outgrew them.

You've got to be kidding me. 


These prices ARE ridiculous mommy, but I am worth it, right?

Where is that sales woman? Doesn't she know its considered "bad form" to keep her pint-sized customers waiting?

Anyway, with some more coaxing and nudging we got the darned things on Scott's feet, although he was none too happy about wearing them at first.

These things feel like blocks. Me no like.

Take it easy, would ya lady? I am still mastering this whole "walking" skill!

But moments later he spied a toy on a wall (that a three or four year old was playing with, mind you), and he was off. He crawled right over to it, and pulled himself up directly in front of it, effectively knocking the bigger (and most surprised) interloper out of the way.

Then he gave me a big grin. Shoes good!

And so we have Tank's first pair of footwear. Brown, with red and blue on them. (Yes, mommy was trying to cover all colors in Scott's wardrobe, because, at these prices, we were only getting ONE PAIR.)

We can talk about expanding our collection once the kid is actually walking.

Scott's first shoes!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment