Monday, July 4, 2011

My kid loves soup

No, I mean L.O.V.E.S. soup.

As in a freakishly weird, would-eat-it-every-single-day-if-I-let-him-kind of way.

Not that I am complaining.

Soup is pretty much close to the perfect transitional baby food. Depending on what you get, it can be packed full of carbs, protein and veggies. It takes seconds to prepare. It reheats well, so there's no waste. And, let's face it, it's cheap.

I first discovered Scott's penchant for this form of liquid nourishment when he and I went out to dinner with my parents at Olive Garden. (Daddy was working in Denmark.) I went through the effort of bringing pureed Gerber veggies, assorted snacks and even ordering a $5.99 kids plate of spaghetti, only to have Tank largely turn his nose up at all of it.

He was way more interested in people watching than eating.

But then Grandpa offered him a bite of his soup of the day. YUM! Scott ate the better part of my dad's bowl of soup, devouring it so quickly that we ordered a second bowl to go. Presto! I had two more dinners later that week.

When Jim came home, we expanded Scott's soup repertoire. Each attempt was an unmitigated success. Whenever we offer him a new flavor, Tank leans forward in his high chair, rocks back and forth and makes an "ehh..ehhh...EHHH" sound until I give him another bite.

Cream of chicken. Yes, please.

My Grandma Stecher's homemade tomato-based vegetable soup with steak. Absolutely.

Broccoli cheese. Is there more?

Tonight we reverted to the basics: chicken noodle (but with noodles shaped like O's and carrots. As you can see, it too was a big hit.



Scott is generally a good eater. So far he's tried -- and enjoyed -- green beans, chicken, cherries, pita bread, watermelon, ravioli, cheese, edamame, french fries and steak, among other items.

But who knew?
Soup = world's greatest baby food. Like, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment