Friday, June 17, 2011

The Cutest Kid Contest

Anyone who is friends with me on Facebook will probably read that headline and shudder.

Yes, it was just a few short weeks ago that I asked, begged, cajoled, browbeat and threatened pretty much anyone I had ever crossed paths with in my 36-years on this earth to vote for my kid in a local "Cutest Kids Contest." The prize? A free photo session with an area photographer.

It was fun at first. After all, my kid clearly was the cutest of the bunch, and his entry photo (below) proved it!



But after three days, the whole process just became exhausting. Scott took an early lead, but a family in Gilbert hired a professional PR firm, took out ads on television, and launched a robocall campaign to get people to vote for their child.

(Okay...that last sentence is probably a SLIGHT exaggeration.)

By the end of the voting period, their little urchin had pulled ahead, I was uber-sick with the stomach flu, my mom and I had emailed everyone in our address books, and I was growing increasingly tired of having friends tell me that 'I had no shame' in my desperate pleas for votes.

(And for those who did say that: you are right. I have no shame when it comes to my kid. I am a mom. It comes with the territory.)

So Scott came in second. (BOO, HISS!!) 

But because he should have won, and because my friends were so awesome and because we worked so hard, the photographer who sponsored the contest gave us a free photo session anyway.

(Special thanks here to both of Scott's grandmas, my sister, Alia Beard Rau, Karen Brooks, Julie Barnes Stafford and Shannon Chambers, all of whom used their Facebook pages and accounts to push for extra votes.)

Beth -- the aforementioned photographer -- proved once again that she is awesome. She spent more than an hour with us, snapping candids both inside our house and in our front and backyard. (We've already booked her for Tank's first birthday celebration.) We got our prints back last week - and I think they offer all the proof needed that Scott truly IS the cutest kid around.

Here's a sampling of my favorites.

Seriously... my child looks like the Gerber baby. Clearly the cutest and the rightful winner.

More Scott adorable-ness

This is getting redundant.

I love, love LOVE this sweet shot of Scott and his daddy.

Chillin in the jumperoo...and looking oh so cool doing it.

Mommy enthralled by Scott and whatever he's doing.

Ditto. We got lucky. Scott was in a great mood for most of our photo session.

Classic family portrait by the pool.




No comments:

Post a Comment