Sunday, June 19, 2011

Crawling is for babies... and I am SO over it

Today we close the book on Jim (and Scott's) first Father's Day.

I can only deem it a resounding success.

First, Scott and I are monumentally grateful to have Jim home. He's been working nonstop for the past two weeks in Copenhagen. He made it home Saturday night - just in time for Father's Day.

Scott was very happy to see his daddy. After his morning swimming lesson and a marathon mid-day nap, father, son and grandpa headed over to Chase Field for a boys day at the baseball game. The Diamondbacks sadly lost, but all three appeared to have a great time. Scott ate french fries, flirted with the ladies in the stands, and even tried to cheer.

Boys day out at the ballpark!

Eating a french fry and climbing over grandpa to get a closer look at the hot girls one row over.






But Tank saved the real fireworks for late afternoon. With a captive audience consisting of grandma, grandpa, mommy and daddy, Scott pulled himself up on his (new) favorite toy, and .... wait for it... drumroll please:  took his FIRST TENTATIVE STEPS.

Um, hello? I know my child is advanced. But this borders on the ridiculous. He's nine freaking months old. He only been crawling for three-plus weeks. And standing up? That's a task he mastered a mere 8 days ago. And yet, there he was, gleefully banging his hands, clapping, and shuffling along the carpet. Proud daddy scooted on the floor with him like a true coach, encouraging, correcting, and yes, pointing out, when necessary, the flaws in his technique.

(Oh, and did I mention he's TALKING too? Ma-ma-ma-ma and buh-buh-buh-buh...he's really quite the chatterbox.)

Check out the video, and prepare to be amazed.



It was the perfect Father's Day gift for Jim, who has been telling me for weeks...err, months, 'he's not a baby anymore.'"

But I must admit, I view this latest accomplishment with mixed emotions. On one hand, I am so proud of my strong, determined boy and the pride he took in being able to shuffle along the floor. But on the other, I feel like its all happening just a bit too fast.

Jim's right: he's not a little baby anymore.

But I hope he stays my baby for just a bit longer.

P.S. Babies -- make that big kids -- who walk hard and play hard also SLEEP hard.

I am tired. I am sleeping. Leave me alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment