Friday, March 9, 2012

My kid is a Sasquatch...and I didn't notice.

For the past few weeks, my folks and I have joked about Scott and the unique running "stance" he'd developed.
It was sort of a side-to-side, not-quite-bending-at-the-knee-shuffle that made him look like a tow-headed Yoda whenever he moved.

We'd even started calling him Yoda.

I am officially a moron.

Today I took Scott to Stride Rite to get his feet re-measured since I wanted to buy him a pair of summer sandals, and I wasn't sure if his size 5.5 wide shoes were still the way to go.

I was also hoping to pick up some crew socks, since several of his didn't seem to be fitting well.

Duh, mom. You would think that somewhere a light bulb would have gone off in my dense little head.

They put Scott on the plate, and told me he's now wearing a size 7, wide.

SEVEN. I almost choked. And then I felt terrible. I'd been jamming my poor kid's feet into a size 5.5 shoe for God knows how many weeks/months, having no idea they were now three sizes too small.

Scott's proper shoe size, as evidence by the one on the left. I can't imagine why the brown ones were uncomfortable.

No wonder his big toenail fell off a few weeks ago. No wonder I had to yank to pull the darn things on and off. No wonder he walked like Yoda.

I think I may officially the worst mother ever - or, at a minimum, one of the most unobservant ones.

At least its a problem that's easily rectified. Scott has a passle of new shoes - including tennies, summer sandals, water shoes and topsiders. He also has socks. The woman at the store told me they'd probably last until July.

Mommy guilt on full display.
I certainly hope so.

Thanks, Mom, for finally noticing. Sheesh, what's a kid got to do around here to get your attention?

No comments:

Post a Comment